BISS GCH Am/Can CH Gingerbred Celestial Thunder JH, CGC, RNPosted by admin on Dec 26, 2010 in Boys, Feature | 0 comments
Zeus is our once in a lifetime dog who we’re so proud to know and love. He continues to warm our hearts and lives every day. As we go about our routine of hunt training, therapy dog visits, or just relaxing with him on the couch, we reflect on what he’s done to “represent”…
- Only Labrador to win Eukanuba’s Best of Breed two times (2008 & 2010)
- Highest Sporting Group ranking (Group 2) for a Labrador at Eukanuba (2010)
- Youngest Labrador to compete at Westminster (2007)
Zeus has over 120 Best of Breed wins and over 30 Group Wins/Placements. Plus, wonderful offspring who are Champions & Grand Champions and have won Best in Specialty Shows, Best in Show, and Sporting Dog Shows! Zeus is proud to be a stud dog for several incredible service dog organizations: Summit Assistance Dogs and Warrior Canine Connection.
Life with Zeus
Zeus is our favorite dog. Zeus loves the show ring,moving effortlessly and gracefully. His standard type, double coat, fluid movement, desire for birds, and mellow temperament make him not only a wonderful show dog in the ring, but also a great companion and hunter. Thank you, Christine Tye, from Gingerbred Labradors for breeding such a fabulous Labrador.
His favorite things to do at home (besides sitting on your lap on the couch) are carrying, retrieving, or playing keep away with big sticks, tennis balls, or a deflated basketball. Zeus loves his toys and his pack.
Zeus has certainly lived up to his famous namesake! By the tender age of 10 1/2 months Zeus became a champion. He followed that up with a string of best of breed wins and even made the final cut at Westminster a few weeks after his first birthday. He spent the rest of 2008 racing to the top of the AKC standing and finished up the year 3rd in breed and 4th in all-breed, bringing home multiple Group Wins and Group Placements. Zeus’ crowing accomplishment in 2008 was winning Best of Breed at the Eukanuba National Championships in Long Beach, CA.
Zeus took some time off in 2009 to just be a dog! He was like one of those child actors who experience fame at a young age. He shook off the show dog suit and went immediately into puppy mode! Zeus spent a lot of time in his favorite place – the mud! With very limited showing Zeus still managed to stay in the top 15 Labradors in the country in both breed and all-breed. We took some trips up to Canada and Zeus finished off his Canadian championship. He also started making some headway in the Specialty ring winning two Judge’s Award of Merits. One at the Puget Sound Labrador Retriever Association specialty and the other at the Dallas Fort Worth Labrador Retriever Club specialty (thanks, Shelah). The elusive Best in Specialty Show (BISS) seemed within grasp but not yet …
Zeus began his hunt training during the summer of 2009, working with Chuck Hilton of Hiltonhall Labrador Retrievers and completed his Junior Hunter title in 2010. He loves going after birds! Zeus returned to training with Chuck in 2011 to lay the foundation towards his next hunt title.
Zeus wasn’t in the show ring much in 2010 since he was fetching up birds yet he managed to win multiple Best of Breeds and multiple Group Placements which in part helped him achieve his Grand Champion status and national ranking. Zeus finished off the year by winning Best of Breed at Eukanuba and representing the breed well by winning Group 2. We are very proud of Zeus and can’t wait to see what the future brings. See other breed representatives at the Eukanuba here.
In 2012, Zeus and Toni started hunt training together and it’s been quite an experience learning to work together to get those birds. Zeus attempted his first Senior Hunt runs with a few hiccups so will continue to train. We decided to run him at the Labrador Nationals as we were headed there for the dog shows in the new Purina Farms Event Center. The change in scenery saw some improvement! However, the big win came on the last day of the Specialty shows when he won that prestigious Best in Specialty Show (BISS) at the Spirit of St. Louis Specialty! We are so proud of him.
Visit Zeus’ Show Pictures page to view some pictures of his accomplishments.
Road To A Championship
- 10/21/2007 – Del Valle Dog Club of Livermore [Winnie Limbourne] – WD (4 Point Major)
- 11/17/2007 – Whidbey Island Kennel Club – WD/BOW (4 Point Major)
- 11/18/2007 – Whidbey Island Kennel Club – WD/BOW (4 Point Major)
- 11/23/2007 – Golden Valley Kennel Club – WD/BOW/BOB (1 Point)
- 11/24/2007 – Golden Valley Kennel Club [Nancy Talbot] – WD/BOW/BOB (2 Points) NEW CHAMP
Road To A Grand Championship
Zeus is the 40th Labrador Retriever honored with this title.
- 05/17/2010 – Coronado Kennel Club of New Mexico – Select (William Cunningham)
- 05/22/2010 – Mount Baker Kennel Club – Select (Anne Savory Bolus)
- 10/21/2010 – Skyline Dog Fanciers of San Mateo County – Select (Janet Narushka)
- 10/22/2010 – Skyline Dog Fanciers of San Mateo County – Select/Award of Merit (Linda Bednarski)
- 10/25/2010 – Del Valle Club of Livermore – BOB (Suzanne Hemminger)
- 11/20/2010 – Whidbey Island Kennel Club – BOB (Michael Manning)
- 11/30/2010 – Kennel Club of Beverly Hills – Select (W. Everett Dean)
- 12/01/2010 – Los Encinos Kennel Club – Select (Nikki Riggsbee)
- 12/02/2010 – Long Beach Kennel Club – Select (Peggy Beisel-Mcllwaine)
- 2008: #3 Breed, #4 All Breed
- 2009: #12 Breed, #13 All Breed [Limited showing]
- 2010: #11 Breed, #6 All Breed [Limited showing]
- Westminster – 2008 Invitation
- Eukanuba – qualified 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Eukanuba – Best of Breed 2008 (Sari Brewster Tietjen)
- Eukanuba – Best of Breed 2010 (Dan Ericsson) and Group 2 (Erik Bergishagen)
- 07/14/2011 – Rose City Labrador Specialty – JAM (June Sasaki)
- 07/16/2011 – Rose City Labrador Specialty – Select and Best Hunting Retriever (Cheryl Curtis)
- 08/07/2011 – Puget Sound Labrador Retriever Specialty – Select/JAM/Hunting Retriever (Diane Jones)
- 09/02/2011 – Sierra Vista Labrador Retriever Club – Select (Vonnie Russell)
- 09/03/2011 – Gold Country Kennel Club (supported entry) – Select (Judy Chambers)
- 03/11/2012 – Seattle Kennel Club – BOB (Richard Beauchamp)
- 05/26/2012 – Certified Delta Society Pet Partners Therapy Dog
- 08/16/2012 – Rainier Sporting Dog Association – BOB/Group 2 GunDog (Debra Davis)
- 10/14/2012 – Spirit of St. Louis Labrador Retriever Club – BISS (Sally Sasser)
- 07/13/2013 – Rose City Labrador Specialty – Select (Nancy Talbot)
- 07/11/2014 – Rose City Labrador Specialty – Rally Novice title
- 07/31/2015 – Puget Sound Labrador Specialty – Select (Pauline Mortier)
Zeus is producing some really nice puppies – click here to see some pictures. They are growing up fast and making waves in the show ring and at hunt tests. These pups have won multiple BOB’s, have multiple group placements (including Group 1’s), and won Best in Specialty Show, Best in Show and Sporting Dog Shows. Current champions and title holders are CH Wyndrush’s Cara Mia “Cara” (Zeus x EZ), CH Misty Mountain Some Like It Hot “Sugar Kane” (Zeus x Misty), MBPIB, BPIG Can CH Misty Mountain Diamond Head Hula Girl WC “Laeahi” (Zeus x Prada, finished at 11 months), BISS CH Misty Mountain a Cut Above “Flash” (Zeus x Prada, finished at 13 months), BIS GCH Chambrays Celestial N Counter “Kika” (Zeus x Ellie, finshed at 14 months out of Bred By, BIS at 15 months, GCH at 16 months), and CH Chambrays First N Counter (Zeus x Ellie, finished at 16 months following her sister “Kika”), CH Misty Mountain Red Aces Wild JH “Chloe” (Zeus x Molly), and Aust CH AlpyneAir Southern Cross “Bronte” (Zeus x Ella) finished at 17 months. On the hunt side, Misty Mountain Goddess Athena at Watercross (Zeus x Misty) have their Junior Hunt title. Please visit his pup’s web pages by clicking on the links above.